Founded in 1968, Griffiths is one of the leading civil engineering and rail contractors working throughout Wales, the midlands and south-west England. With an annual turnover of circa £225m our 1000+ directly employed, well-trained, dedicated and highly competent workforce deliver client solutions which includes Welsh Government, Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities, Utility Companies and selected private sector organisations.
Operating out of strategically located centres, with a large directly employed workforce and extensive plant fleet we have the flexibility and resources to respond swiftly to clients’ needs. Our experience embraces both the public and private sectors and includes major and minor capital projects, framework and term maintenance contracts, partnering and joint venture alliances. As a regional company, we have an inherent interest in the social, economic and environmental well-being of the areas within which we live and work. We invest in these local communities through every project we undertake.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH. Griffiths has over 1,000 employees operating across 100 sites or schemes at any given time.
We are currently looking for a suitably qualified and experienced Agent, or an ambitious sub-agent looking to progress their career, to lead operations working on behalf of Network Rail and local authorities in the North and Mid Wales regions, reporting directly to the Contracts Manager.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
As the operations lead, you will ensure full compliance with safety, environmental, quality and business policies and procedures, record change to ensure we maximise financial return, develop strong relationships with Clients and produce site H&S documentation. In addition, you’ll be involved in the development of buildable solutions, pre-construction, drive best practice and escalate any issues to your line manager.
In this role you will be responsible for a number of tasks including:
- Primary role is to plan, manage and control operational requirements for schemes in accordance with the agreed programmes
- Attend tender handover meetings to understand the project deliverables, including contract obligations, project scope & methodology, risk & opportunities.
- Manage pre start meetings of subcontract packages in line with programme and build requirements.
- Ensure our brand is portrayed positively taking into consideration our company guidelines.
- Lead the planning of the projects to ensure the effective use, resourcing and control of equipment, manpower, materials and transport is achieved
- Review the project and target programmes with the site team to ensure activities are aligned to the planned sequencing of works, and an awareness of lead times for design and procurement is in place.
- Oversee implementation of works to programme requirements.
- Work closely with the commercial team throughout the project and assist in establishing and monitoring a contract performance forecast and an accurate picture of projected value and forecast costs. To include record keeping of delivery notes and invoices and making sure they are available to the wider team.
- Drive the performance of your site team, supporting their development and maximising their potential and effectively manage our subcontract relationships.
- Take responsibility for managing the resolution of significant problems on site and communicate to senior management in order that any support from within the business can be provided as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with the BMS and maintain up to date records and diary and allocations in line with requirements.
- Monitor progress against plans.
- Encourage and empower all site teams to contribute towards good health, safety, quality and environmental management within their areas of activity and influence.
- Understand and comply with your responsibilities outlined within the Occupational Health and Safety Policy Statement.
- Production of health and safety documentation including Construction Phase Plans, RAMS, Lift Plans, Permits to Work and to effectively manage health and safety risks on site
- Ensure H&S documentation is communicated at site level
- Develop, review and feedback on main contractual construction programme
- Develop and maintain two week look ahead programmes for own section of work
- Maintain ITP’s and ensure all required quality checks are undertaken
- Undertake COVID audits to ensure compliance with latest guidance
- Collate site measures of works undertaken
- Manage the requirements for setting out of works in relation to programmes allowing time for verification if required
- Identify temporary works and ensure designs and registers are updated
- Maintain high personal safety and environmental standards in accordance with company policies. Report non-conformities and undertake weekly Health and Safety inspections.
- Maintain good working relationships with Client and Consultant site personnel
- Ensure scheme drawings and specification documents contain sufficient, accurate information for construction of works. Formally request missing information in sufficient rime to allow programmed activities to proceed if not.
- Keep comprehensive records of changes to aid Compensation Event submissions
- Submit Early Warnings and Compensation Event Notifications to the Contracts Manager
- Collate information for the health and safety file handover
- The ideal candidate should be highly organised with the ability to manage the construction phase from inception through to completion.
- Good written and verbal communication skills are essential with the ability to tailor the delivery approach to suit the audience.
- IT literate and confidence with the use of Microsoft office is essential, experience using Microsoft Project is preferable.
- Strong customer focus to build lasting relationships with this key Client. The ability to understand the customers’ needs and drive operations to ensure they are met.
- Strong leadership and management skills to ensure that front line staff are empowered and comply with necessary policies. Development of a positive site culture by nurturing relationships within this intimate team
- The ability to work as part of team assisting your line manager and working with colleagues in commercial and tendering as well as direct reports and the site teams.
- Solid technical and engineering knowledge understanding buildability requirements. The ability to read drawings and specifications and translate into safe buildable solutions.
- To hold temporary Works Coordinator/Supervisor competence would be preferable
- A61 Appointed person for Lifting Operations competency would be preferable.
- Experienced in delivering civil engineering works in a Railway environment. PTS would be preferable is desired buy not essential.
- Professional manner with the ability to lead site teams and attend client meetings
- SMSTS, First aid at work and relevant CSCS card would be preferable
Location: Porthmadog, Gwynedd, Wales
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/102/1111