Salary: Attractive plus benefits
Are you ready for the most challenging but rewarding step in your career? Whilst truly making the world better, fairer and greener for the next generation.
You may have conquered your role within your chosen industry.
You may have effectively driven success within your operation and have a fantastic reputation that backs up what you have achieved over the years.
If the metal recycling industry is new to you and is unheard of in your experience. This role will be bigger than anything you’ve done before. Giving you the biggest challenge you have faced in your career, but at the same time giving you a huge sense of job satisfaction and reward.
The metal recycling industry may not look all that glamorous from the outside, but when you’re within, the innovation, processes and technology are truly fascinating.
As a Senior Structural Engineer – Reusable Steels, the greatest challenge within your career will start on your first day at EMR.
You will be responsible for our Reusable Steel Structural Engineering activities as we develop this initiative in the UK, providing ultra-low carbon steel sections to dramatically reduce embodied carbon in the built environment. This will involve reference and adherence to the necessary technical guidance and standards including the Steel Construction Institute (SCi) P427 Steel Reuse Protocol and the British Constructional Steelwork Association (BCSA) Model Specification for the Purchase of Reclaimed Steel Sections.
You will work with the Reusable Steel team at EMR to identify suitable steel sections that could be potentially reused prior to deconstruction and will be our technical lead in assessing the ability of recovered steel sections to be used in structures liaising with demolition/deconstruction companies, developers, engineers, contractors and architects. You will also take responsibility for our inspection, testing and validation procedures to ensure that our customers can have full confidence in utilising our reusable steel sections.
Furthermore you will be required to grow and manage a Reusable Steel Structural Engineering team as we expand our activities.
- To add value and provide enhanced levels of supplier and customer satisfaction by ensuring that we provide qualified and highly competent Structural Engineering advice in relation to our Reusable Steel sections;
- Facilitating and de-risking our activities of sourcing Reusable Steel from existing structures and fabricated sections and the supply of such sections to our customers through the provision of appropriate technical advice;
- Review and ensure that we meet the necessary technical engineering standards and guidance e.g. SCi P427 and the BCSA “Draft Model for the Specification of Reclaimed Steel Sections”;
- Proactively put into place policies and practices that reflect and shape industry best practice on the use of Reusable Steel sections;
- Collaboratively work with our customers including developers, engineers, architects, contractors etc to advise on the suitability of our Reusable Steel sections to be employed within their construction activities so that our materials can be incorporated;
- Ability to advise on the use of reusable steels within a developing and/or a fixed design;
- Provide technical and engineering information to support supplier and customer tender bids and proposals where Reusable Steels can provide differentiated value;
- Identify popular section sizes and lengths so that our buyers can actively source such sections across the UK and to facilitate their use;
- Represent EMR on technical committees and relevant trade associations pertinent to our Reusable Steel activities as we continue to raise awareness of our activities and actively build a Reusable Steel market;
- Take technical ownership of our Reusable Steel sampling, inspection and testing regime so that it becomes best in class in order to reduce risk and create confidence;
- Work closely with the Reusable Steel operational team so that we can create an end-to-end process that reduces risk and creates value;
- Train and upskill our colleagues in their understanding of steel structures to increase awareness across the EMR business;
- Build and manage a Reusable Steel structural engineering team.
- Best in class structural engineering advice in relation to the procurement and use of Reusable Steel sections;
- Develop a highly efficient and robust inspection, sampling and testing programme and roll out suitable training for the operational teams;
- Liaise with Material Testing Laboratories to ensure that testing services are optimised;
- Raise the awareness of EMR Reusable Steel activities by demonstrating our ability to technically perform;
- Grow and manage a Reusable Steel Structural Engineering team;
- Continue to build upon and enhance your professional knowledge and Chartered Status.
Experience & Qualifications
- Provided structural steel advice in the design of structures and preferably where such advice has involved the use of Reusable Steels;
- Detailed understanding of BREEAM along with awareness of Life Cycle Carbon Assessments including Environmental Product Declarations;
- Understanding of the Regulatory and market drivers increasing the demand for reduced carbon construction products;
- 10 years’ experience of structural engineering using steel products;
- IStructE Chartered with preferably 5 years of post-chartered status;
- Deep knowledge and experience in Steel structures to include:
- Buildings – High rise steel towers
- Buildings – Low rise steel structures
- Bridges – (optional) steel bridges
- Has a proven track record of building and managing highly motivated and successful teams;
- Understands the importance of cost effective solutions and value added engineering to improve outcomes;
- Awareness of steel fabrication activities would also be beneficial.
- Has a deep and extensive knowledge of the construction industry either from a client and/or contractor/service provider perspective;
- Familiar with and has an understanding of Revit, BIM and other models used to design structures;
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail and the ability to understand and interpret numeric data;
- Highly motivated individual with a focus on outcomes and
- Capable of working with and positively influencing colleagues and customers.
- This role involves visits to sites in the UK and potential overnight stays where required
- Full UK driving licence
Hours per week: 45