In a Nutshell…
We have a new opportunity for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to join our team within Vistry East Midlands, at our office in Peterborough. As our Senior Quantity Surveyor, you will be responsible for managing all costs relating to new build residential developments. Your focus is to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, whilst still achieving the required standards and quality.
Let’s cut to the chase, what’s in it for you…
- Competitive basic salary and annual bonus
- Company car, car allowance or travel allowance
- Agile working possible (dependent on role)
- Up to 33 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Private Healthcare and Dental Insurance
- Competitive contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance – 4 x your annual salary
- Share incentive schemes
- Employee rewards portal with many more benefits…
In return, what we would like from you…
- Behave in line with our company values – Integrity, Caring and Quality
- HNC / HND in Surveying or equivalent
- Proven experience as a Senior Quantity Surveyor within residential housebuilding
- A good understanding or building regulations and legal obligations
- A good knowledge or construction methods and materials
- Strong mathematical and IT ability
- Ability to assess and analyse information
- Good understanding of budget management
- Excellent communications skills
- Able to work under pressure, and accept criticism of work
- Accurate with an eye for detail
More about the Senior Quantity Surveyor role…
- Maintain a record of current build costs & rates and liaise with the Senior Estimator to ensure all records are current.
- Attend specification meetings to confirm site specific specification requirements from Sales and the latest applicable build regulations.
- Attend the site pre-start meeting to receive construction issue drawings and determine build and sales strategy.
- Compile tender packages for all sub-contract trades and despatch in accordance with Commercial Best Practice Manual.
- Receive tenders and qualify. Compile analysis sheet for each trade comparing tenders.
- Compile and present tender summary sign-off in accordance with parameters determined in the Commercial Best Practice Manual. Compile and present the tender summary sign-off in accordance with parameters determined in the Commercial Best Practice manual. Coordinate the activities of the Material Buyer and Company Estimator to achieve sign-off.
- Obtain authorisation to ‘let’ all sub-contract orders valued over thresholds as noted in Commercial Best Practice Manual.
- Place and issue sub-contract orders in accordance with Group Policy and Commercial Best Practice to budget and within programme requirements.
- Compile reports on contract letting vs. estimate for each site periodically, as required.
- Liaise with build department on sub-contractors’ performance and compliance with order conditions.
- Complete sub-contract orders to accord with site programmed build requirements in accordance with Group Policy and Group Rebate schemes and fully adjudicate prior to issue of documentation.
- Set up and regularly review with the site management team the PPQA tick sheet to facilitate sub-contract contract work payment.
- To liaise with company management and provide all necessary forecast and site budget information to meet the business’s reporting requirements.
- Attend a monthly cost valuation meeting.
- Control and report post contract cost movements per development every month. Update site specific reports and provide details of all “unscheduled” and “scheduled” order revisions i.e. Site Instructions and site purchase orders. To provide such monthly reporting as required by the Commercial Manager.
- Review professional fee provisions and statutory service cost, and credits, with the technical department.
- Ensure invoices/applications for payments are processed in accordance with Vistry Homes Standard Terms and Conditions of Contract.
- Issue Payment Withhold Notices, where a contractor application, or part thereof, is in dispute in accordance with Construction Act.
- Immediately advise management of notification of impending claim or legal action arising from a disputed claim or payment from a Sub-Contractor/service provider.
- Where necessary, determine a sub-contract order in accordance with Standard Terms and Conditions of Employment and liaise with Build Department in this respect.
- Assist in the regular review of materials on-site and material valuations.
- Agree and process all sales variation requests, including works to show homes, stock plots and sales incentive works in accordance with group procedures.
- Properly categorise on the construction system “unscheduled” and “scheduled” order amendments.
- Settle all variation invoices/applications for payment in accordance with Vistry Homes Standard Terms and Conditions of Contract.
- Process groundwork’s payments/applications for payment using the COINS payment system as outlined in Commercial Best Practice Manual.
- Ensure the collection of retention against all sub-contract orders in accordance with Group Policy. Manage and certify retention releases on completion of the development.
- Complete and agree sub-contract final accounts within 6 months of the last legal completion on-site and prior to the first release of retention to the individual sub-contractors.
- Maintain final account schedule.
- Maintain an updated risk and opportunities schedule.
- Liaise with the technical department to secure site adoptions and tender, let and administer maintenance orders, as required.
- Inform the management team of any abnormal cost or circumstances which will have a significant effect on cost or have long term cost implications.
- Ensure Quantity Surveyors are pro-active on sites within their daily control, advice and discuss any operation or method where cost savings could be achieved.
- Mentor, manage and develop assistant/ junior surveyors and ensure the efficient running of the surveying team.
Finally, let’s tell you a bit more about us…
At Vistry Group, we build more than homes. We develop sustainable communities across all sectors of the UK housing market through our leading housing brands Bovis Homes, Linden Homes and Countryside Homes. Delivered through Vistry Housebuilding, Countryside Partnerships and Vistry Works with the support of Vistry Services, our values of integrity, caring, and quality continue to shape all we do.
We’re proud that our UK Green Building Council membership, 2021 Large Housebuilder of the Year award and status as a UK top-five housebuilder with a five-star House Builders Federation (HBF) customer satisfaction rating allows us to transform land into thriving spaces. We’re also proud that our culture sees everyone treated fairly and respectfully, with diversity and inclusion a top priority and reasonable adjustments provided during the application process. From memories and communities to worthwhile careers, we’re making Vistry.
Job Type: Permanent – Full Time
Location Detail: Ashurst, Southgate Park,Bakewell Road, Peterborough, PE2 6YS