In a Nutshell…
We have a new opportunity for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to join our team within Vistry Housebuilding South East, at our Caterham office.
As our Senior Quantity Surveyor, you will be responsible for managing all costs relating to new build residential developments. Your focus is to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, whilst still achieving the required standards and quality.
The role will also involve developing junior members of the commercial team.
We are pleased to say, this role can accommodate agile working arrangements.
Let’s cut to the chase, what’s in it for you…
- Competitive basic salary and annual bonus
- Company car, car allowance or travel allowance
- Agile working possible (dependent on role)
- Up to 33 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Private Healthcare and Dental Insurance
- Competitive contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance – 4 x your annual salary
- Share incentive schemes
- Employee rewards portal with many more benefits…
In return, what we would like from you…
- Behave in line with our company values – Integrity, Caring and Quality
- HNC / HND in Surveying or equivalent
- Proven experience as a PQS / SQS / Commercial lead working within a residential house builder (dependant on position level)
- Experience maybe gained from a similar position or promotion
- A good understanding or building regulations and legal obligations
- A good knowledge or construction methods and materials
- Strong mathematical and IT ability
- Ability to assess and analyse information
- Good business sense
- Good understanding of budget management
- Negotiating and networking skills
- Excellent communications skills
- Able to work under pressure, and accept criticism of work
- Good team working skills
- Accurate with an eye for detail
- A methodical approach
- Willing to work extra to meet deadlines as and when the business needs require it
- Degree in Surveying or similar
- Working towards being a Member of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), or Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
More about the Senior Quantity Surveyor role…
- Maintain a record of current build costs & rates and liaise with the Senior Estimator to ensure all records are current.
- Attend specification meetings to confirm site specific specification requirements from Sales and the latest applicable build regulations.
- Attend the site pre-start meeting to receive construction issue drawings and determine build and sales strategy.
- Compile tender packages for all sub-contract trades and despatch in accordance with Commercial Best Practice Manual.
- Receive tenders and qualify. Compile analysis sheet for each trade comparing tenders.
- Compile and present tender summary sign-off in accordance with parameters determined in the Commercial Best Practice Manual. Compile and present the tender summary sign-off in accordance with parameters determined in the Commercial Best Practice manual. Coordinate the activities of the Material Buyer and Company Estimator to achieve sign-off.
- Obtain authorisation to ‘let’ all sub-contract orders valued over thresholds as noted in Commercial Best Practice Manual.
- Place and issue sub-contract orders in accordance with Group Policy and Commercial Best Practice to budget and within programme requirements.
- Attend and minute all sub-contract order adjudication meetings.
- Compile reports on contract letting vs. estimate for each site periodically, as required.
- Liaise with build department on sub-contractors’ performance and compliance with order conditions.
- Ability to deal with complex consortium sites and attend relevant meetings
- Attend and project team meetings as required.
- Complete sub-contract orders to accord with site programmed build requirements in accordance with Group Policy and Group Rebate schemes and fully adjudicate prior to issue of documentation.
- Set up and regularly review with the site management team the PPQA tick sheet to facilitate sub-contract contract work payment.
- To liaise with company management and provide all necessary forecast and site budget information to meet the business’s reporting requirements.
- Attend a monthly cost valuation meeting.
- Control and report post contract cost movements per development every month. Update site specific reports and provide details of all “unscheduled” and “scheduled” order revisions i.e. Site Instructions and site purchase orders. To provide such monthly reporting as required by the Commercial Manager.
- Review professional fee provisions and statutory service cost, and credits, with the technical department.
- Ensure invoices/applications for payments are processed in accordance with Vistry Homes Standard Terms and Conditions of Contract.
Finally, let’s tell you a bit more about us…
At Vistry Group, we build more than homes. We develop sustainable communities across all sectors of the UK housing market through our leading housing brands Bovis Homes, Linden Homes and Countryside Homes. Delivered through Vistry Housebuilding, Countryside Partnerships and Vistry Works with the support of Vistry Services, our values of integrity, caring, and quality continue to shape all we do.
We’re proud that our UK Green Building Council membership, 2021 Large Housebuilder of the Year award and status as a UK top-five housebuilder with a five-star House Builders Federation (HBF) customer satisfaction rating allows us to transform land into thriving spaces. We’re also proud that our culture sees everyone treated fairly and respectfully, with diversity and inclusion a top priority and reasonable adjustments provided during the application process. From memories and communities to worthwhile careers, we’re making Vistry.
Job Type: Permanent – Full Time
Location Detail: Linden House,Guards Avenue, Caterham, CR3 5XL