In a Nutshell…
We have a new opportunity for a Commercial Manager to join our team within Vistry Housebuilding Southern, at our Basingstoke office. As our Commercial Manager you will be responsible for managing and co-ordinate the designated commercial team to ensure the smooth operation of the commercial function and the delivery of annual plans and forecasts. Responsible for the cost control of projects throughout the construction process, including procurement of subcontractors and materials in line with Build & Budget requirements.
We are pleased to say, this role can accommodate agile working arrangements.
Let’s cut to the chase, what’s in it for you…
- Competitive basic salary and annual bonus
- Company car, car allowance or travel allowance
- Agile working possible (dependent on role)
- Up to 33 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Private Healthcare and Dental Insurance
- Competitive contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance – 4 x your annual salary
- Share incentive schemes
- Employee rewards portal with many more benefits…
In return, what we would like from you…
- Behave in line with our company values – Integrity, Caring and Quality
- Extensive experience working within a residential house builder
- Previous experience as a Managing QS or Commercial Manager within the industry
- A good understanding or building regulations and legal obligations
- A good knowledge or construction methods and materials
- Experience or people management and project leading
- Strong mathematical and IT ability
- Ability to assess and analyse information
- Good business sense
- Good understanding of budget management
- Negotiating and networking skills
- Must be proficient with Coins IT system & Viewpoint document management system.
- Excellent communications skills
- Able to work under pressure, and accept criticism of work
- Good team working skills
- Accurate with an eye for detail
- A methodical approach
- Capable of strategic vision
- Decision making/problem solving/multi-tasking
- Willing to work extra to meet deadlines as and when the business needs require it
- Degree in Surveying, Building or similar
- A member of or working towards being a Member of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), or Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
More about the Commercial Manager role…
- Ensure compliance with the company’s Quantity Assurance Procedures and Health & Safety Policy.
- Where possible to look for areas of cost savings whilst projects are live.
- Liaise with all other departments to ensure cost effective delivery of the regions budgeted output.
- From time to time take on any other specific requirements requested by the Commercial Director to the benefit of the region’s commercial operations.
- Attend design review meetings and pre-planning technical department meetings to understand pre-planning application works and the consequences on the development’s financial forecasts.
- Attend land department meetings to understand and produce viability costs and implications including relevant Section Agreement obligations and legal requirements.
- Work with build and commercial teams to ensure that the contractual position of the company is protected as can be reasonably foreseen.
- Attend group best practice meetings to share and gain knowledge.
- Provide accurate build costs for use in budgets, forecasts and valuations.
- Ensure build cost information is up to date to enable accurate estimating.
- Periodically review and update forecasts and budgets. Including for later phases on sites.
- Working with the line manager (or Estimator if available) to ensure estimated costs of all works are available and up to date, including the preparation of viability back up for use by the land department
- Oversee the preparation of substructure quantities for use with alternative foundation designs.
- Oversee the preparation of estimated costs of elevational treatments and styles for use with the Divisional House Range.
- Respond to any variations, errors or omissions.
- Provide all house type cost information for use with budgeting and forecasting procedures, as requested.
- Ensure that costs are kept within forecast and estimates where possible, and that the department operates within the guidelines determined in the Group Commercial Best Practice.
- Coordinate the measure and payments to subcontractors including guidance to Surveyors to ensure that works are certified for payment in accordance with Company procedures.
- Ensure that Roads & Sewers payments are checked thoroughly including any relevant measures.
- Provide variance report for use by Regional Commercial Director.
- Provide overheads report for use by Regional Commercial Director.
- Provide year-end report for use by Regional Commercial Director.
- Coordinate cash flow forecasts for each site, to be monitored against monthly payments.
- Liaise with customer care to ensure that any remedials are being contra charged and process followed.
- Raise sales invoices for shared costs and other sundry contracts.
- Liaise with Technical, Planning & Finance to ensure accurate & timely reporting of fee schedules including S106.
- Ensure rebate information for Group is collated and returned by the required deadlines.
- Carry out monthly cost/value report for the Region including coordinating and checking of CVR’s and back up prior to the monthly meeting, all in accordance with Group Audit requirements and company procedures.
- Carry out periodic valuations in accordance with Company Policy, including coordination of HA valuations & invoices.
- Report of any major variances to the Regional Commercial Director.
- Respond to contract variances in respect of quality, performance, programme, costs and specification.
- Liaises with all Departments in matters relating to the effective administration of site development schemes.
- Identify non-compliance and rectify and resolve problems.
- Settle contract price variations.
- If non-compliance with above, then discuss determination of the contract with the Regional Commercial Director and Area Build Directors.
- Ensure that quotes for purchaser’s extras are provided to the Sales Team in accordance with Commercial Best Practice and project the Regions target gross margin for this service.
- Ensure you keep up to date with legislation changes and attend training and technical training as and when require by the company.
- Attend departmental meetings as required.
- Deal with queries from build teams.
- Maintain open lines of communication with colleagues in other regions.
- Work with Build and other depts to ensure working relationship with key suppliers & subcontractors is maintained where possible.
- Ensure all relevant stakeholders are informed of key departmental developments.
Finally, let’s tell you a bit more about us…
At Vistry Group, we build more than homes. We develop sustainable communities across all sectors of the UK housing market through our leading housing brands Bovis Homes, Linden Homes and Countryside Homes. Delivered through Vistry Housebuilding, Countryside Partnerships and Vistry Works with the support of Vistry Services, our values of integrity, caring, and quality continue to shape all we do.
We’re proud that our UK Green Building Council membership, 2021 Large Housebuilder of the Year award and status as a UK top-five housebuilder with a five-star House Builders Federation (HBF) customer satisfaction rating allows us to transform land into thriving spaces. We’re also proud that our culture sees everyone treated fairly and respectfully, with diversity and inclusion a top priority and reasonable adjustments provided during the application process. From memories and communities to worthwhile careers, we’re making Vistry.
Job Type: Permanent – Full Time
Location Detail: Central 40,Lime Tree Way, Chineham Park, Basingstoke, RG24 8GU