Shift hours: Full Time
WHAT: Assistant General Manager
REPORTS TO: Theatre Bars & Cafes General Manager
LOCATION: National Theatre
SALARY: £30,000 Overview
The National Theatre, one of the UK’s leading arts venues, reaches millions of people each year through live and digital programming, creating and sharing performances in London, across the UK and internationally. The organisation strives to be accessible, inclusive and sustainable. It empowers artists and craftspeople to make world-leading work, inspires young people, and works with communities. Based in the heart of London’s South Bank, the venue is home to multiple performance spaces and is attended by over a million people annually, operating year-round to provide a welcoming space for audiences and visitors alike. KERB’s vision is to create opportunity and joy through great food, from the kerb up. We operate markets, one-off events, workshops, consultancy, bars, a food hall in Central London and have developed a successful corporate catering arm, KERB Events Ltd. KERB Events Limited is a joint venture with Compass Group UK. As part of this partnership, KERB Events Limited is proud to be the sole F&B provider for this high-profile performance venue in central London, looking after all public-facing catering as well as internal hospitality and commercial events. Job Description The role of the Assistant General Manager is to support the General Manager and take ownership of the NTs Theatre Bars & Cafes operation ensuring all front and back of house areas are in keeping with the operational standards set out by KERB, ensuring constant exemplary level of service and hospitality. Working on a rota basis to cover all trading periods you’ll support, supervise and lead the front of house team’s daily activities in accordance with KERB and the National Theatre’s values and goals. Exceed customer expectations, achieve profitability and promote a positive, productive and engaged work environment. Style Of Leadership Managers and Supervisors working with Commercial Operations are expected to lead, support, coach and motivate their team to help build and deliver the vision for the National Theatre, Commercial Operations and Audience Experience. They will facilitate effective communication within the team and play a leading, proactive role in the development of staff and teams, leading by example at all times.
● To take overall responsibility for the day to day management of your area, ensuring the consistent delivery of all the audience experience agreed on standards and deputizing for the General Manager as needed.
● To be the face of the Theatre Bars & Cafes, providing feedback and support to the team throughout service and spending time engaging with and serving customers.
● To assist with the delivery of financial targets through management of costs and delivery of the sales strategy.
● Working closely with management to meet revenue objectives
● Implementing appropriate strategies to reverse adverse sales and improve sales
● To proactively identify new sales opportunities and act on them.
● To lead, supervise, co-ordinate, support and motivate a team of approximately 30 staff.
● To facilitate effective communication within the team and play a leading role in the induction, training and development of staff, including regular one-to-one meetings with team members. ● To confidently and proactively offer advice to customers regarding all products and to ensure that staff are fully briefed.
● To take a lead role in managing food safety ensuring that all food safety procedures are followed at all time
● To ensure adequate stock for service by efficient ordering and rotation.
● To check all stock deliveries, items issued to other departments and account for current stock held.
● To ensure all bar areas and all equipment, fixtures and fittings are in efficient working order and are impeccably presented.
● Monitor and analyze sales, reconciling sales stock and takings.
● To perform all logistical and administrative duties necessary to ensure the smooth operation of commercial operations areas. General Responsibilities
● To be vigilant at all times and know the lines of communication and emergency procedures, taking appropriate action to ensure personal safety and security as well as that of customers and colleagues.
● Maintaining a safe working environment at all times
● To undertake appropriate training and professional development as determined by your managers.
● To undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required for an efficient front of house operation.
● Lead by example at all times as an ambassador for both KERB and the National Theatre.
● Responsible for teams performance and knowledge levels on both food & drink ensuring a real enthusiasm for the products.
● Shape and create a culture and environment where people want to work.
○ Ability to work flexibly, including nights and weekends ○ Personal License Holder ○ Level 2 Food Safety in Catering ○ Minimum 2 years experience in a team leadership role within a hospitality, events or catering environment ○ Proven track record & hunger for driving sales forward with an eye on the quality of KREBs product ○ Proactive / self-starter with tons of initiative ○ Excellent people skills, confident talking to clients and traders in a consultative manner and developing long-term relations ○ Ability to adapt communication style according to the audience ○ Ability to delegate ○ Ability to set targets and motivate the team in achieving them and reporting on progress ○ Positive and flexible attitude, with the ability to think laterally and willing to problem solve ○ Excellent computer skills ○ Ability to communicate and conduct oneself in a clear, diplomatic and authoritative manner ○ Outstanding hustle