What you’ll be doing
- Playing a key role in the preparation and production of monthly management accounts
- Completion of monthly balance sheet reconciliations
- Assisting in the delivery of forecasting and budgeting requirements
- Working closely with the Senior Management Accountant and Management Accountants to ensure that FDs and Finance Business Partners support requirements are met in a timely and accurate manner
- Performing detailed stock reviews to ensure that books are accurately costed
- Acting as main point for queries from the central purchase ledger team
- Performing regular cost centre reviews and tracking progress against budget
- Performing detailed provision calculations for stock and returns
- Reporting on overheads
- Tracking of Marketing, Publicity and Customer Promotional spends and liaising with divisional heads
- Production of title P&Ls for divisional imprint reviews
- Monthly calculation of overhead prepayments and accruals
- Ad hoc tasks as required by the business and finance teams
- Coding and processing of invoices
Who we are looking for
- Good attention to detail
- Good spreadsheet skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to solve problems and have a flexible approach
- Junior management accounting role – graduate/one year experience
- Familiarity with accounting systems preferable (SAP)
- A part-qualified accountant (CIMA/ACCA/AAT or equivalent) or looking to start studying
What we offer
Our staff are our greatest asset, and our benefits reflect this:
- 28 annual leave days per year, increases to 29 days after 2 years’ service and goes up to 30 days after 5 years’ (+ bank holidays)
- Generous pension schemes
- Rent deposit loans
- 2 community days per year
- Summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months)
- Retail discounts through Hachette rewards
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Wide-ranging training library
- Development programmes (including mentoring)
- Up to 70% off book purchases
- A charity bookshelf
- 12 Staff-led employee networks that are voluntary, including Gender Balance, Thrive, Pride, All Together, Wellbeing and religious networks
- Season ticket loans
- And much more!
The role will be based at our London office, Carmelite House, with a blend of in-office (3 days) and homeworking (2 days) per week.
Who we are and what we do
The Hachette UK Management Accounts team supports 11 publishing teams based in the UK and Ireland. The team is led by the Head of Management Accounts and has the responsibility to produce the Management Accounts and reporting packs for these 11 divisions. The management accountant team will also be responsible for ensuring that the more transactional publishing focused general ledger accounts are kept up to date, including stock and cost accounting, and tracking marketing and publicity spends.
About Hachette UK
Hachette UK is a creative powerhouse and the UK’s second largest book publishing group. Our mission is to make it easy for everyone to discover new worlds of ideas, learning, entertainment and opportunity.
We’re made up of 12 autonomous publishing divisions and over 60 imprints with a rich and diverse history and an incredible range of authors. We’re also the market leader in e-books and publish a range of bestsellers in audio format, the fastest growing part of our business.
Our award-winning adult publishing divisions are Orion, which won Publisher of the Year at the 2021 British Book Awards; Little, Brown; John Murray Press; Hodder & Stoughton; Headline; Quercus; Octopus, Bookouture and Dialogue Books. They publish fiction and non-fiction in digital, audio and print format, from the world’s best and most diverse authors, including Brit Bennett, Candice Carty-Williams, Martina Cole, Michael Connelly, John Grisham, Stephen King, Stieg Larsson, Nelson Mandela, Stephenie Meyer, Maggie O’Farrell, Delia Owens, Ian Rankin, J.K. Rowling, Colson Whitehead, and Malala Yousafzai. Hachette Children’s Group publishes a wide and vibrant range of books for children across all age ranges, while Hodder Education is a market leader in resources for both primary and secondary schools.
Hachette UK is part of Hachette Livre, the world’s third largest trade and educational publisher. As well as our headquarters in Carmelite House, London, and our state-of-the-art book distribution centre in Didcot, Oxfordshire, we have recently opened five new offices in Manchester, Bristol, Sheffield, Newcastle, and Edinburgh. The UK region also includes offices in Australia, New Zealand, India, Singapore, the Caribbean, and Ireland.
It’s an exciting time to join our business because the publishing market continues to grow and thrive. The UK remains the largest exporter of physical books in the world and book adaptations for film and TV are the foundation of the UK’s creative industries.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org
£26,500 – £30,000, dependent on experience and location (+ bonus +benefits)